Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Welcome to Eat Drink Jet!

Today I'm starting Eat. Drink. Jet. Welcome!

My purpose is mostly selfish, but, why not share with the class. Yesterday my oven was delivered. Yes, I had to buy an oven, because in the space where my oven should be, as in many Hong Kong flats, I have a washer/dryer instead. Of all the people I've come across, I think I know two people who have built in ovens. I've been ok without one for the six or so weeks I've lived in the new flat, but I started to get nervous thinking about all of the things I could never make for myself. So Saturday, I purchased a convection oven, and after measuring it it looks like I'll be able to cook anything I want in there. I can even rotisserie a chicken!

After 9 months of not really being able to cook, I now can't stop thinking about it. I'm ready to reclaim all my utensils, cookbooks, and other accoutrements from the storage space in Calabasas.

I've also been thinking about how I'm going to better organize my recipies. I think I have a few online recipe files, some on my computer, friends' recipies in my emails... So for my own good, I'm dedicating a blog to good eats and good drinks 'round the world.

I'm not sure when I became a foodie. It's strange for me because as a child I was a very picky eater. I ate a lot of mushy things. Eggs. Potatoes. I also like things very plain and dry. In college, I used to get made-to-order sandwiches from the On Deck Deli. Freshman year I would get a croissant with cheese and avocado. That's it. By senior year that sandwich was jam packed with goodness... but still veggie since lunch meat kinda scares me. And now I'm here and can't stop thinking about food. My parents love to eat, they will travel far and wide for a good meal, and I guess it finally set in with me too.

Enough blabbering.

Happy Food Adventures!

No comments: