Wednesday, February 17, 2010

CNY: Szechuan Private Kitchen

Si Jie Private Kitchen in Wan Chai


The Hong Kong Private Kitchen: Intimate dining. Usually not a legal restaurant, but a small space where better food is served.

This particular one I've been to before, for a very special and spicy experience. The owner, who does not speak English, goes around the tables, challenging people to a chug contest. She just about always wins. I also heard rumors of moonshine being served during the week.

Well, Si Jie was away for CNY, but the food was just as special and spicy. You must understand one thing about this particular cuisine. It's not just spicy. It won't just make you sweat. It will make your mouth and face go numb. It's quite the topical experience.


Super spicy veggie dish.

Forgive me if my descriptions here and in the future are vague. If I know I'm in good hands, I just allow friends to order. They end up picking more interesting things than I would anyway. I just enjoy.

Oh yeah, and the previous time there was no English menu or English speakers.


Noodlesssssssss.


Chicken


Bitter melon. Cold dish and a refreshing break from the spicy.


Fish dish and noodles in there somewhere. So delish.




Ma Po Tofu. Check it out, something I know!


Whatever this is was very tasty.






This kitchen is an eating adventure and always a riot. A great place for groups, a great place for a cold day. Oh yeah, and if you give this place a try, be sure to wear a dark shirt. You'll be sweating up a storm, and the chili oli can make a mess too.

No comments: